, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Did you know? In a house, a vent is an opening that allows air to pass between the room and the duct. A vent cover is a generic term used to describe the decorative (or not-so-decorative) cover on the vent (i.e., duct opening). Registers and grilles are specific types of vent covers. Registers are vent covers that are typically used on forced air ducts. They have a pre-attached damper or set of louvers to help control airflow. For example, the damper can be closed to avoid heating or cooling a room that isn’t used. Grilles are vent covers that are normally used on air return ducts. Grilles do not have a pre-attached damper. So, now you know it all, and can recognize each in these photos …

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Click on any picture below for a larger view.